Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Crazy James

This one goes way back to my elementary school days. Don't ask why I thought about it--I guess because thoughts constantly rush through my mind. Our playground at Southside Elementary was completely enclosed in a fence. Everyday during recess the same man walked by our campus. He was referred to in our town as "Crazy James". James always wore blue jean overalls and walked with his hands held behind his back. James had no teeth and chomped as he walked. He was probably in his 40's, but mentally still a child. When he walked by the fence he would be called names, made fun of, and kids would throw things at him. This went on everyday--teachers never intervened. I remember sitting in the swing wondering about James' feelings. I wanted to stand up and scream for it all to stop, but I was afraid--and to tell the truth I was afraid of James too--ignorance I guess.
Why did this man subject himself to meanness everyday? Why didn't he just walk somewhere else? Maybe his mind didn't comprehend this viciousness--maybe he was just lonely.

Fast forward--in Hamburg there's a man referred to as "Jumpin' Joe" or "Highstepper". You've probably seen him if you live here. He walks everywhere, speaks to everyone, and like James is made fun of. BUT today I'm not afraid. If Joe wants to talk I'll talk as long as he wants. I listen to what he says and let him know I care. I wave with the same enthusiasm as he does. It's the least I can do for James' sake. I believe there's a lot to be learned from James and Joe.

Today the Caruthersville (my hometown) walker is Mark Skelton. I never knew James; Joe is an acquaintance; but I grew up with Mark--we graduated together. He is intelligent and incredibly talented. I never had a doubt that he would be a famous cartoonist--his work was amazing. But Mark was different, made fun of in a vicious way, and gave up somewhere along the way. I admired him and I guess he sensed it because he was comfortable around me. Oh don't worry, every time the school needed something drawn they would play nice to him--it made me sick to see him be used. Not long ago on a trip back home I saw Mark walking down the street. It broke my heart. He was large, dirty, and so so lost. I wanted so bad to pull over and talk to him; but again I was afraid. I don't know his state of mind today or if he is in touch with reality.

Does anybody out there care? Why can't the James', Joe's, and Mark's be cared about too? If there's one thing in this life I am completely sure of it's this--EVERYONE has something special to offer. Thanks to close-mindedness we'll never know the gift James, Joe, and Mark were put here to share. That's our loss...
Hold On--Good Charlotte

8 Comments:

Blogger fairygirl701 said...

These types of people have a soft spot in my heart too. There should be more people like you who are kind and not afraid of "different" people. We have a few patients similar to the "james" or "joe"s. One guy who rides a bike all around town. Whenever he comes in a few are bothered or afraid to speak to him, but I have found he says some of the funniest things. I am amazed at how these people respond at just the simple courtesy of "hello, how are you today". Sad. Too bad about your classmate...

10:01 PM  
Blogger ginger said...

What happened to Lindsay's blog? It is just a blank template.

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i remember p. scroggin who was tormented from day one of entering school. it was awful. and i felt wrong and hypocritical for hanging out with the vicious boys (read: current studs) that made circles around him and asked him to do mortal kombat moves and then laugh at him until he wanted to hit someone, and then pretend they didn't do anything wrong. i too wondered why teachers never stepped in. never. a whole school around one "slow" boy, mocking him, and not one teacher EVER broke it up. i was nice to him. and he wrote me letters and poetry. i think i kept one. it said "i'd like to take you places you've never been after you gradiated."

2:16 AM  
Blogger Gaye said...

These precious people hunger for kindness since they seldom get it. That's why a simple hello means so much to them. "I'd like to take you places you've never been..."--it gave me chills. AND Sydney, you're an angel. The official song for me, you, and Lindsay is hereby "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own"--U2. Listen...

6:22 AM  
Blogger ginger said...

Who was threatening Linsdsay? That is crazy. Was it someone she knows or an anonymous loser like it usually is with threats. I hope she gets it back up soon. Maybe she can swap blog addresses?

7:27 AM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

hey, ginger ... i'm going to try to switch the address but i'm going to let this crazy person forget about me first so she doesn't come looking for me.

on the one hand, it sounds very much like she knows me, but on the other hand if her blog id matches the blog i found, i have no clue who she is.

either way, she was threatening to call my job and tell them i have a blog so i would get fired, and in this city, that is very easily done.

i hope to get up and running again when i get a home computer or something.

sorry i'm such a chicken!!!

7:58 AM  
Blogger ginger said...

what a looney! email me the address so I can check her out!

8:19 AM  
Blogger fairygirl701 said...

CRAZY!!! I had been wondering where your blog had went...what a loser. Bitter coworker maybe? Or someone who wanted your job sounds like. Don't let it stop you from blogging--we miss you!!

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home