Thursday, March 17, 2005

Flying With Angels

The beauty of this intimate conversation with our toddler was in the sheer innocence of it all. We never tried to guide or direct the information she was sharing with us. We only talked about her memories on a couple of other occasions--her story never changed.

Our family chooses to believe that we have all flown with the angels, and that time has a way of fading those precious memories. We encourage everyone to ask their young children about heaven--but hurry!!--before they forget...

It was a beautiful spring day. The sky was full of marshmallow clouds and singing birds. Flowers were in full bloom and their sweet fragrance filled the air. This was a perfect day for Sydney's favorite thing--let the SWINGING begin!

As Sydney and her Daddy strolled towards the tree swing, her tiny finger pointed up to the sky. "Do you remember when I used to fly in the sky with the angels?" Our baby asked this question with an innocent bluntness beyond her years. It was as if she expected everyone to remember since she did.

Her Daddy was speechless as he lifted his youngest daughter into the wooden tree swing. The conversation quickly shifted to Bubba, the beloved cat, and the day faded into night.

As I tucked Sydney into bed for the evening, I asked her to tell me about flying with the angels. And so she did...
Sydney told me about Jesse, an angel, who dressed in green and had long red hair. Jesse was very sweet and took good care of her.
Jesse's job in heaven was to teach all of the children how to behave. She liked to play too. Everybody loved Jesse!
Sydney's "special angel" enjoyed flying with the children over the houses where they would live when they were born. A sneak peak was all she would allow.

Jesse was fun, but Sydney's favorite part of heaven was storytime with Jesus. He loved to tell them stories about when he was a child. They would gather at his feet and listen to every word--he was such a good storyteller.

I felt a chill from head to toe as my "angel" recounted her experience in heaven. I thought to myself, what a comfort this memory must be for her.
As another spring day was in bloom, our oldest daughter, Lindsay, volunteered to swing her little sister. Gently lifting her into the seat of the swing she whispered, "Syd, remind me what it was like to fly with the angels"...

Since this experience many years ago my daughter now has a toddler of her own. Sarah and her dad were walking through the yard and she pointed to the sky with her own tiny finger..."I flied with the angels." He had never heard the story but found it interesting...he told Sydney and she called me. I told her to ask about it when the day was ending and Sarah was winding down. Sydney didn't recall the details after all of these years. She didn't want me to tell her just to see if there was a comparison.

Later in the day she questioned her baby and was given the same look of confusion I received...both thought it was something we all naturally either knew or remembered. Sarah's angel's name was Jesse...she had red hair...wore pink with green wings. Jesse played with the children and flew them over their houses. Jesus told stories and was fun. This was all volunteered information with no coaxing or questions. UNTIL...Sarah was asked if Jesse watched over her..."no...mamaw Cora held my hand and brought me here. Liza was there too but mamaw Cora didn't take care of her...she was with Bud and Mama "Feeder" (Wheeler). Sarah did not know Cora, Bud, or Mama "Feeder". (Bud and Mama Wheeler were my grandparents; Cora was her Dad's). The conversation stopped here...

I urge you to ask your children without putting words in their mouths to tell you about angels and heaven. Please...before they forget. gayefox

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris Streeter Davis said...

What a wonderful story, it brought tears to my eyes. Please don't stop writing, you are so intriguing.

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know we've already had this conversation today, but i seriously don't remember this and i really wish i could. the fondest memories i have of syd at this age are me tormenting her b/c she took away my only childness ... stupid sister .. hee heee!!! JUST KIDDING!!

this is such a beautiful story. if anything, i hope you keep blogging to remind me of childhood memories like this. like you said, i was so wrapped up in being a teenager at the time ... i want to know all the other stories i've forgotten.

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know we've already had this conversation today, but i seriously don't remember this and i really wish i could. the fondest memories i have of syd at this age are me tormenting her b/c she took away my only childness ... stupid sister .. hee heee!!! JUST KIDDING!!

this is such a beautiful story. if anything, i hope you keep blogging to remind me of childhood memories like this. like you said, i was so wrapped up in being a teenager at the time ... i want to know all the other stories i've forgotten.

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry for the duplicate ... blogger crashed and i didn't think it took .. MY BAD!

8:07 AM  
Blogger fairygirl701 said...

Oh Gaye *tear* what a beautiful story. Maybe my Mia is at play with the angels as Sydney said. Who can argue with a child's wise words--there is no way that could be anything other than true! Thank you for remembering her today. It means alot.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home