Sunday, October 02, 2005

Robert Pate

When I was very young I had a best friend; probably the best friend I have ever had. He loved to do everything that I did—we had tea parties; played hide and seek; watched the Red Skelton Show; and sat down together for long talks. He was such a good listener; never interrupted; never judged; just loved me for me; and I totally adored him. His name was Robert Pate and he was my imaginary friend; or was he? I’m beginning to believe he was much more than imaginary; he was my “guide” and I want him back.

Robert Pate and I drove my parents and sister CRAZY! I would be totally insulted if the table was not set to include him; very irritated if they talked when he was talking; and stomped my feet if they had the audacity to sit on top of him knowing perfectly well that he ALWAYS sat by me where ever I was. Robert Pate received many apologies for being sat on; I couldn’t understand what was so difficult about sitting in an unoccupied space! Jeesh!!

My mother eventually called our pediatrician to see if her baby daughter’s behavior was “normal”. My doctor said that having an imaginary friend is very common; the uncommon part was that my friend had 2 names—this he said showed extreme intelligence. Thank ya very much Dr. G…Now this revelation made Robert Pate much easier for the family to take. The Doc said that in time he would disappear…

I shared everything about myself with my friend. I talked to him constantly and he answered me; sometimes he would make me laugh; other times he would comfort me when I was sad. Even as a small child I sensed the discomfort that having this friend caused the people around me. I didn’t understand it; I just knew that sometimes I would notice perplexed looks and irritation when we walked into a room together.

Robert Pate was my companion; he served as a clue to my future friendships. This companion could easily have been a girl; instead it was a boy, as have been my best friends to this day. I was never alone. He followed me everywhere I went; side by side; watching over me as I grew.

One sad day my parents heard me crying in my room and they came to see what was wrong. Robert Pate had died; I offered no explanation—the funeral service was fitting of a fine friend. Today I wonder if I turned my back on my “guide” because of the perplexed looks and irritation that seemed to be mounting because of his existence.

I’ve been thinking a lot about Robert Pate these days…and I want him back. I don’t believe he was imaginary at all; I believe he was more real than most people I have known in my life. I miss the way he listened; made me laugh; comforted me; never judged me; and always forgave people when they would sit on him. If you’re listening dear sweet friend I could sure use your guidance; companionship; and devotion—I am so sorry for betraying you and I promise I will never turn my back on you again—please guide me Robert Pate like you used to…

You've Got A Friend In Me--Lyle Lovett and Randy Newman

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww Gaye :) Your memories have touched me. To become someone's friend is something you must treasure because it's such a gift. Lately we've not been talking and when we did I felt you different... I hope you find a friend in me, Gaye :)

6:46 AM  
Blogger Anisa said...

what a great post! sounds like robert pate was just what you needed...and am wishing that someone will come into your life soon and make you feel all the things that he did, and more...

12:49 PM  
Blogger fairygirl701 said...

When I was little, I had two friends "RaRa" who was a girl and "GooGoo" who was a very bad boy. Anything bad that happened, it was either GooGoo or GooGoo's influence that made it so. I can remember not understanding why my family didn't believe me that the impish GooGoo was to blame. They were so REAL...who's to say they weren't? Maybe they are spirits? I have wondered this many times myself. Maybe Robert, RaRa, and GooGoo WERE real?

1:51 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

i don't remember having an imaginery friend. i feel so neglected.

this is a great post. i'd love to meet robert pate.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

At last! For some reason I couldn't get this window to open.

Gaye, I think this is once of the best essays you've written. I'm thinking he was as real as this moment.

I never had an invisible friend. Or a friend, for that matter. Guess I was a pretty miserable kid to hang around.

Hope you get to see him again.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Reality Chick said...

Thanks, Gaye, for reminding me of those 'silent partners' we often create in our minds when young.

I, too, had an imaginary friend. In fact, I think this will be the subject of my next post.

So, can you guess what the name of MY imaginary friend was??

The Gribblelite.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Gaye said...

anisa--thanks for the kind words!

gerard--hang in there with me fella; going through a rough time; things will settle soon; always thinking of you.

steph--Robert Pate, RaRa and GooGoo were sooooo real--I truly believe that now!

lindsay--as soon as I find RP again I'll introduce him to you--he's there; somewhere...

jas--i'm focusing and focusing; really I am. Tell Emily to point him in my direction; that would help me lots...

buffalo--thanks for the compliment! I'm sure he's right beside me; I'm just not opening my eyes wide enough yet--afraid of what I might see I guess...

RC--weren't they the best friends to have...I love the name you gave yours...seen him since?

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home