Monday, September 25, 2006

Insomnia

Last week I could count on one hand how many hours I slept the entire seven nights. Just for the record; I am a very patient person… just for the record; this past weekend I was NOT!
I work 40 hours in 3 days with 8 teenage girls in a therapeutic foster home. I’m Ms. Easygoing Gaye; they can’t ruffle my feathers. At least they can’t ruffle Ms. Easygoing Gaye; but they sure as hell can ruffle the feathers of Ms. Sleep Deprived Gaye. I’m ashamed…

The new girl made me want to claw my eyeballs out. How many freakin’ times do I have to repeat the freakin’ menu… and yes YOU have to eat what’s on it… and NO it’s not going to change if you ask me 14 trillion more times. Good Grief!!!! I wanted to do something creative with that damn menu but I was too tired to be creative. At one point I found myself trying to get in the last word with her… I never do that!… And hell she was winning for crying out loud!

I CAN cook; I HATE to cook. So sleep deprived Gaye got to cook every meal all weekend for 10 people. I come from a small family damn it! I tried to be clever and wait my co-worker out to see if she would go in the kitchen and start the meals… just ONE. No such luck… Groceries!!! Sleep deprived Gaye got to go pick those up at Campus… crates, boxes, ice chests full of food… a weekly massive undertaking. Lucky me!

It gets better! I was hand picked to take 4 of the girls shopping at Target. This was AFTER cooking 2 meals, catching up on paperwork from the day before, picking up after the messy girlies all day (I’m not supposed to do that but I’m a rebel!), and dealing with "new girl". OH!!! By the way!!! New girl calls me Ms. Gayle… not because she doesn’t know my name, but because she doesn’t LIKE the other word (Gaye). Sleep deprived Gaye wanted to call her a name; and so I did; her name… darn it!

Just in case you think this is exaggerated or that I was the only one that was nuts that day consider this… one of the other girls walked over and plopped down beside me while I was counting backwards from a zillion to calm down and whispered to me, "I need a xanax!" I said, "WHAT??" She said, "I mean it. That girl is driving me crazy!" We both laughed.

Okay, back to Target… if they take $100.00 they want to spend $110.00. I can’t let any of them out of my sight… 4 teenage girls… all different sizes… different interests… shopping together… FUN! The checkout line is unbelievably exciting. It’s always exhilarating to wonder if the people behind you in line are going to shove their carts up your ass because the girls have more items in their carts than they have money. So they stand there; hold up the line; and decide what they want to put back… it’s a group discussion you see… they value the opinion of their peers.

Finally Sunday arrived and I was all psyched up when I got to work… just 15 more hours and I’ll be off for 4 days… HEAVEN… well it was heaven while it lasted. A co-worker needed me to come in early for her Monday morning for a few hours and then I received the added bonus of having to go to Training all Monday afternoon.

I’m hoping for good sleep between now and Friday because Ms. Gayle has got to be at the top of her game; I’m gonna win this time "new girl"! Insomnia… sigh~~~~

Sleepy Time Time--Cream

7 Comments:

Blogger fairygirl701 said...

hahha, oh man sleep deprivation can do some crazy things can't it? I know after the 3rd time of being called out I feel sorry for the patient lol Nah, seriously I try not to take it out on them, but sleep deprivation definetly makes me not on the top of my game. SOmetimes I just want to not brush my teeth just to punish them lol

8:20 PM  
Blogger Buffalo said...

And once again Gaye Ann survives the slings and arrows and sleep deprivation. Go to sleep, sweet lady.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

There's a bright side to this -- you get to walk away and leave the responsbility behind for a few days -- assuming you don't dream about the new girl.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Whitesnake said...

Sleep?????
That's a 5 letter word, didn't ya mum teach ya no manners?

Whoops.....................sorry it is the 4 letters words..........
Bugga!!!!!!

Sleep well angel.........

2:04 AM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

HAHAHAHAHA! sorry your weekend was a nightmare!! hopefully you're sleeping now. if you want me to sing you a lullaby later, i will :)

7:41 AM  
Blogger Still Searching... said...

Insomnia sucks. Def. not good for the patience either. You have more guts than I do darling Gaye...dealing w/ teenage girls on no sleep (or even at all for that matter).

Hopefully you'll get some rest soon!

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"New girl calls me Ms. Gayle… not because she doesn’t know my name, but because she doesn’t LIKE the other word (Gaye). Sleep deprived Gaye wanted to call her a name..."
My name is Gaye and this bugs me too. I usually ask if she is either 1. homophobic or 2. illiterate. This should pull her up. If it doesn't then just call her a random name. So if her name is Beth call her Amanda until it drives her nuts.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home