Monday, July 10, 2006

Teenage "Logical" Concepts

Teenage confidence. We all had it. Remember?… If that particular memory is fading for you just hang out with a teenager for about 5 minutes and it will instantly be revived. They know EVERYTHING! Remember now?…

When I was a teenager I had all of the answers. I loved my parents dearly, but they were… stupid… (bless their hearts!). How could they possibly understand me? How could they have a clue about the issues I faced… peer pressure, education, sex, drugs? I mean after all, they weren’t people; they were parents.

With this, and other "logical" concepts implanted securely in my brain, I waltzed through my teenage years. Actually I tripped over my own feet and followed instead of leading most times, but that didn’t matter… I was a teenager; I knew EVERYTHING! As I tripped and stumbled I barely noticed; it was only when I fell on my face that I would entertain the notion of hmmmm… and that would last a brief moment because I knew EVERYTHING… I had teenage confidence.

It’s funny how confidence and the wonders of being naïve go hand in hand. I guess it’s a good thing that teenagers are consumed with confidence; believing that you are a bionic genius is much less disastrous than realizing you’re clueless…

Which brings me to the here and now… again I am waltzing through my life… tripping and stumbling… but this time WITHOUT teenage confidence. This time I notice every little misstep and fumble; question myself constantly. You know what? It sucks!

I want those "logical" concepts implanted in my brain again. I want to live in ignorant bliss. Teenage confidence… I think I could tweak it a little and make it work in my life now. And I thought I was sooo smart for ridding myself of it years ago… what a know-it-all!!!

Don't Stop Believing-- Journey

4 Comments:

Blogger Whitesnake said...

Oh YES my dear you have hit the nail on the head.
I am lucky enough to still have my teenage attitude of devil may care!
Does sit to well sometimes with other so called adults.
Hey what is the point of being and adult if you can't be childish.
Wonder what they call a female Peter Pan?

3:47 PM  
Blogger fairygirl701 said...

gosh, I think of things I did that were cringeworthy and I didn't care at all then! Now, I think and overthink *sigh* let me know when you get it all figured out lol

10:37 PM  
Blogger Still Searching... said...

Funny how after I had a child, a lot of things my Mom said and did made a lot more sense...

1:20 PM  
Blogger Distant Timbers Echo said...

No!!! It's best to just be blissfully ignorant! The less I know, the happier I seem to be.

:D

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home