Monday, May 19, 2008

Closing And Opening

All of my life I have had my own ‘golden rule” I guess you could say. No one ever sat me down and said, “now Gaye, never close a door or bad things will happen. Or worse. It will make you a bad person”. Instead I took lessons on loyalty and unconditional love and applied them to doors opening and closing. In my mind it meant one thing and one thing only—-never close a door. It’s the equivalent to giving up; turning one’s back on a person or situation. I recently discovered the truth about doors.

Doors are meant to be opened and closed. Why else would they be mounted on hinges? I don’t determine IF a door is closed; only WHEN it is closed. If one has done all that they can do to improve a situation that remains sour; or is consistently hurt then it is time to close the door. No good is coming of either of those scenarios and won’t. For miserable people seek to make others miserable; and hurt people hurt people. You become part of their vicious cycle that goes nowhere; running in place in a sense.

Doors don’t have to be closed with stomping feet, loud voices, and a super-sized slamming that rocks the foundation. Instead they can be closed with compassion and wishes of all things good. Bitterness may continue to exist; but it doesn’t have to be yours. Of course there’s disappointment; especially if you put your heart and soul in it. But relationships of any type have to be nurtured by both parties.

To open a door requires reaching out; reaching towards the handle or knob. Moving forward to pass through its opening. No guarantees. Pass through carrying lessons learned never abandoning the concept of loyalty and unconditional love that is reciprocated.

There are so many open doors still ajar in my life. It’s time to close them; with quiet compassion. Reaching forward and knowing I did all I could possibly do. It is a shame though… don’t you think?

Open Your Eyes
Alter Bridge

1 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo said...

Before shutting and locking a door it is generally a good idea to be sure that is what needs doing and what you want to do.

Closing a door that doesn't need closing is a sad thing. So is leaving one open that should be closed.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home